TRIPAWDS: Home to 12347 Members and 1424 Blogs.

Tripawds Supporter sites have no ads!

Luv is a three legged word.

Just another Tripawds site

Luv is a three legged word.

We couldn’t move forward with the vaccine

April 15th, 2018 · 6 Comments · Uncategorized

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

The last few days have been incredibly stressful.  My husband Matt, Bosco, and I traveled to Asheville, NC from Knoxville, Tn.  It’s about a 2.5 hour drive.  Everything was fine.  The night before we went on a walk.  Bosco looked great.  He was a little stiff in the morning but that’s kind of normal.

When we got to Asheville and got him out of the car he couldn’t walk.  The vet saw him early and without doing an MRI he suspected that either a tumor was pushing against his spine or that the cancer had metastasized to his spine.  At that point Bosco looked lethargic, couldn’t urinate, wag his tail, or flip his feet up.  The vet offered to euthanize or let us take him home on meds and see how things went.  Of course he did not feel that giving him the vaccine was a good idea.  We agreed.

We took him home and saw our primary vet so she could show us how to express his bladder.  Man it’s hard, physically, to do.  We tried at home and couldn’t do it so we ran him back to the vets before they closed and he peed by himself!!!  The next day he wagged his tail and we noticed a few other signs of improvement.  He was very alert but the meds made him drink a ton of water.  He threw up 3 times and had diarrhea.  He didn’t want to eat much too.

Then on Saterday, we took him to see his holistic vet.  She did acupuncture and some excercises.  At the end of the session he flipped  his feet instead of letting them hang when we lift him!  That was significant progress.  Also he has started to kick his feet when we carry him and can bare weight on his back legs with support for balance.

The holistic vet feels that the timing was suspicious.  He had an x-ray on Monday where they put him on his back and with the car ride she felt like that could have aggravated his back.  So we are doing PT excercise and I’m going to call ourPC vet and the vet involved in the study on Monday.

Matt and I are exhausted.  It’s been a ruff few days but things are better than what they were.  At least we don’t have to euthanize today, which is what I thought we might be doing.  We wount be selfish, but three vets have now told us it is not time and we are so relived.

We are so grateful for the support of all the vets that have helped us.  The one involved in the study, we have only met once in person but he was so kind and empathetic.  In fact, I thought he might cry in our consultation.  Also our holistic vet has been amazing.  She is even watching Bosco for a half day next week because we don’t have anyone else that can help us.


And….Matt just told me that Bosco’s feet are twitching while he dreams!!!!  This is the first time we have see that!


King of the mountain on his new orthopedic bed with back support.  Something our holistic vet suggested.

To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!


What might have been

April 9th, 2018 · 15 Comments · Uncategorized

we held onto hope for a long time but today the x ray showed 2 mets.  My husband and I are stunned and devastated.  My sweet boy doesn’t deserve this.  Right now there’s not much  more to say.




April 9th, 2018 · 1 Comment · Uncategorized

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

Tomorrow is the day.

Today was pretty mellow but great!  Wow, he has had a huge appetite today, which is probably a good thing since he has to fast tomorrow for blood work.  He ate lots of veggies and maybe… some steak.  Yeah he’s spoiled.  I’ll own that!

Also I played arround with a treat recipe and came up with my own honey ginger treat.  Bosco hung out in kitchen while I baked and enjoyed the smells.  He went nuts for them and just made my day!

I trimmed his toe nails and Dr. Buzby is on board too.  He is all set to deal with the slip and slide that is the flooring at the vet’s office.

Team Bosco or should I say Hungry Hungry Hippo is feeling cautiously optimistic about tomorrow’s tests!

Below, chillin on the couch begging from dad and generally acting like a lab!

Home made snacks!


In the mean time…

April 4th, 2018 · 5 Comments · Uncategorized

This comming Monday is the big day.  The day that decides if Bosco can participate in the Osteosarcoma vaccine study.  I’m worried because we are about 10 months post diagnosis already, he’s having issues with food aversion, and he’s been groaning.  On the other hand, although he is picky about food, he is eating and he is taking an SSRI which is helping too.  We have to offer a variety of foods until we find something he wants but he is eating.  The groaning might simply be his arthritis.  We manage it with meds, massage, and occasional acupuncture but maybe it’s getting worse.

The cancer may not have spread.  He has energy.  He asked to go for a walk yesterday!  Also no coughing.  His nose is always running due to allergy but it’s no worse than usual.  So these things give me hope.

He ate a ton of Oliver Bentley treats this afternoon.  They are limited ingredient treats with ginger and honey from Savannah bee company.  We bought some when we were in Savannah and he liked them so I just ordered more and they came today.  They sent a sweet note!  By the way, you can take your dog into the Savannah Bee Company which we did the Saterday  before Easter in Gatlinburg!  Why didn’t I take a photo of that though!?

Anyway, these treats are good ones for Bosco who has GI issues in addition to food aversion.  I try to keep a variety of treats arround since I never know what he will eat.

While we wait for Monday, we’re trying focus on having fun (and hide my worries as much as possible) with Bosco.  Hopefully it will all turn out well.  He sure deserves it.  He is the best dog!

Our favorite spot along one of the dog friendly hiking trails in the Smokies.


Hope and Puppy Luv

March 29th, 2018 · 4 Comments · Uncategorized

Bosco was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma last May.  We were fortunate to have caught it before metastasis and were able to seek treatment.  He went through amputation surgery, 6 rounds of Carboplatin, metronomic chemo, and takes an herbal pill to attempt to delay metastasis.  The herbal pill is compounded by a holistic vet we work with.  As of his last check, almost 2 months ago, there was no metastasis.  We have been waiting months for the Osteosarcoma vaccine study to begin and if the cancer has not spread, Bosco will participate.  I’m working on finalizing some details but he should have his x-ray on the 9th or 10th and then will start the first round of the vaccine on the 13th if the x-ray is clear.


I think there is some hope now for Bosco and for all the other dogs suffering with this vile disease.  I hope to have so much more to share soon.  In the meantime, please send us your prayers, good vibes, thoughts, wishes, or whatever your thing is.  Anxiety is getting the better of me right now.  



These were taken two weeks ago at the beach.  He had a great time and he shocked my husband and I with his energy level!!!